Any discrimination claims issued on or after 6 April 2021, where there is a claim for injury to feeling, the following new bands will apply:
- Lower band (less serious cases): £900 to £9,100
- Middle band: £9,100 to £27,400
- Upper band (the most serious cases): £27,400 to £45,600
- Exceptional cases: over £45,600
Originally known as the ‘Vento’ guidelines, Employment Tribunal Judges, use the bandings to assess compensation in discrimination cases. When considering which band applies, the Judge will look at how long the discrimination went on for, how the discrimination impacted the Claimant and whether the discrimination resulted in the Claimant losing or leaving their job.
The previous compensation bands were:
- Lower band (less serious cases): £900 to £9000
- Middle band: £9000 to £27,000
- Upper band (the most serious cases): £27,000 to £45,000
- Exceptional cases: over £45,000
Bhayani HR & Employment Law’s expert employment advisors specialise in discrimination claims of all types and severity. We have years of experience, in both bringing and defending claims on behalf of employees and businesses.
If you are an employee and you are concerned about discrimination, do not delay in contacting us for advice, as you only have 3 months (less on day) from the date of the last act of discrimination to start your claim.
As a business, there are many ways in which you can protect yourself from discrimination claims including ensuring that your contracts, handbooks and policies are up to date as well as arranging regular equality and diversity training for your employees.